TECHNICAL BUILDING SOLUTIONS
SIG Technical Building Solutions offers cost effective, and regulatory compliant proposals with impartial product advice to the construction industry
Our specialist team will provide advice on energy saving construction products and guidance on building regulation compliance. Our complete integrated service gives you unbiased access to thousands of market leading products and solutions, while our intimate knowledge of product performance helps you to make the right choice. We specialise in Thermal, Acoustic, Fire Protection and Moisture management requirements and have access to an unrivalled product range, ensuring your project has the right combination of products to deliver optimal building performance.
Working with colleagues from our parent group SIG Plc, SIG Technical Building Solutions can provide you with cost-effective solutions that meet your technical specifications. This includes managing the sometimes-competing performance criteria of acoustic, fire and thermal design requirements.
SIG Ireland is comprised of a number of specialist divisions which offer a range of products and services to the Irish construction and industrial markets. Building on core values and with a strong sense of “People do business with people” we offer the end user client, architect, specifier and contractor a comprehensive portfolio which includes:
SIG Technical Building Solutions can provide guidance to all sectors of the construction industry, including:
Houses, Apartments, Mixed Use and Refurbishment
Education, Commercial, Data Centres, Health Care, MoD
Timber Frame, Modular, Off-site Construction, MMC
Our approach is to provide expert advice and always start the design stage with a ‘fabric first’ mindset, to achieve the best value.
National Technical Manager
Eoin joined SIG in 2018 as a Technical Development Supervisor, prior to taking the role as National Technical Manager responsible for the Technical Building Solutions team in 2021. Eoin and his team are responsible for providing all technical calculations and inspection services, as well as expert advice for the full range offered by SIG.
Eoin worked in the construction industry as a labourer and as a retail manager for many years, before gaining his qualifications and working as a process engineer for Dromone Engineering.
Eoin is a graduate of TU Dublin with degrees in Mechanical and Manufacturing & Design Engineering and has qualifications in Fire Engineering, BIM and Building Regulations, as well as Train the Trainer. Eoin is SIG’s lead Passive Fire Protection Inspector.
He enjoys his free time with his young family and splitting his time between scouting and other hobbies.
Senior Technical Building Consultant
Michael has been with SIG since 2007 and was brought in to setup the technical building solutions team. The aim of the team was to assist the decision-making process in disciplines as varied as Architectural, Engineering, M & E Consultancy, Quantity surveying, Fire protection, Materials Purchase management and Façade consultancy; all under the banner of regulatory compliance.
Michael has over 40 years experience relating to thermal, acoustic and passive fire protection allied to Technical Management and compliance confirmation in the construction industry. Prior to being with SIG, Michael was for 8 years the Technical Manager for the Knauf Group Ireland (Insulation division) and for 6 years, the National Sales Manager for Owens Corning Insulation Ireland.
Michael is a Qualified Insulation Inspector under the Institute of Mechanical Engineers iCorr and is a qualified Firestopping Inspector under the Institute of Fire Safety Management and the Institute of Fire Engineers.
In his spare time, he enjoys family time, water sports, country field sports and ancient history.
Technical Building Consultant
Having spent over 40 years in the construction industry, Keith has a wealth of experience. Beginning his career with 12 years in architecture, Keith was involved mainly in health service projects before moving into the commercial world of specification sales, working with several leading manufacturers throughout Ireland.
Joining Richmond Building Products in the mid 90’s, Keith became Sales Director before starting his own consultancy practice in 2000. Working throughout the UK and Ireland, the practice specialised in traditional and innovative standing seam roofing and facades solutions, establishing manufacturing, sales, distribution and installation networks.
After working with SIG for some time in a consultancy capacity, Keith joined SIG in 2018 with a focus on Technical & Business Development.
Technical Building Consultant
Keira Joined SIG in 2018 as part of the Internal Sales Team for the Insulation portfolio. Before joining SIG, she had over 5 years in the Retail Industry and 1 year in the Furniture Industry.
As the Construction Industry was something new to her and as part of SIG continuous training and development, she was placed on Internal training courses for product knowledge in her portfolio and other portfolios.
This training was provided by the Technical Building Solutions Team and it encouraged her to expand her knowledge and understanding of the Construction Industry and resulted in the opportunity to join SIG Technical Building Solutions.
Since joining the team, she has received qualifications in Passive Fire Protection and a Level 6 Training Delivery and Evaluation Certification and has plans to continue more courses.
In her spare time she enjoys reading, travelling, cooking and hiking.
Junior Technical Consultant
Jerome joined SIG in 2021 as a Junior Technical Consultant. Prior to joining SIG, he had worked in the retail industry for 2 years and 1 year within the construction industry.
Graduating from TU Dublin with a degree in Mechanical Engineering, Jerome worked as a graduate site engineer in Jones Engineering Group, with focus on HVAC systems. Relatively new to the construction industry, he was placed on internal training courses to gain product knowledge and for continuous training and development. Encouraged by professional development opportunities and guidance provided by the team, Jerome is determined to expand his experience and knowledge of the construction industry.
In his spare time, he enjoys photography/videography, sports, and travelling.
Who We Work With
Our consultants work with architects in designing new buildings and the spaces around them. They also help with the issues raised in the conservation and restoration of old buildings and develop a homogenous approach to required performance requirements. We bring the greatest rewards from being involved in construction projects from the earliest stages right through to completion.
- U value calculations and condensation risk analysis
- Building element dimension solutions e.g
a) reducing the wall dimensions while satisfying regulations
b) reducing structural load requirements (Green roofs) and
c) reducing water management requirements (Green roof)
- Energy efficiency
- Regulatory compliance
- Gaining CPD points for professional development, our extensive product portfolio allows us to be impartial about product selection
- Supplying data sheets, product certificates and MSDS for building control
- Building Control Amendment Regulations (BCAR) and inspection sign off (PFP)
We work closely with Quantity Surveyors and Engineers on their product specification decisions. We can add value to the specification process through the following:
- Reduce time in search for suitable products and solutions
- Assist in the Shortlisting of products meeting required performance criteria
- Submit qualified solutions to achieve specific solution requirements
- Provide calculated and regulatory compliant submittals to aid the design process
- Provide solutions which set out specification clauses to suit NBS layout
The primary role of building consultants is to assist clients with specific technical expertise and knowledge. SIG assists in bringing that specific knowledge together into an homogenised approach which can further expand and deepen the service offering of the building consultant.
- Fire Specialists: Product ratings, test documents, certifications, inspections and manufacturer backed sign off
- U value and condensation risk analysis calculations
- Industrial plant and H & V: Heat loss, personnel protection, risk of freezing, energy efficiency of pipe work and tanks calculations
- Cost effective insulation comparison like for like analysis
- Calculated acoustic performance of partition and ceiling assemblies
Main contractors have multiple sub-contractors to manage on a project. We are uniquely placed to offer solutions that increase operator productivity and make cost savings. These same solutions can very often bridge and even reduce the numerous work packages that main contractors must manage.
- Sourcing alternative products: that meet the required performance and compliance criteria from a regulatory and calculation perspective
- Submit alternate build-ups to walls, floors or roof elements that match structural, thermal, acoustic and fire requirements
- Advise on requirement for skilled and unskilled application of materials
- Attend design and progress meetings at site or in office in support and on behalf of main contractors especially on Design & Build projects
The sub-contractors role is often complicated by follow on and preceding trades that add to time pressures. We can advise on alternative cost effective solutions that can reduce the materials application time.
- Sourcing an alternative product backed up with assurance of calculated, tested and regulatory compliant proposals
- Provision of onsite technical inspection visits, increasing operatives knowledge on required testing and regulations, thereby increasing their persona with the main contractor
- We can give product training on site via ‘tool box talks’ or in our own training facilities
NEED TECHNICAL HELP?
Speak to a member of our team!